The Absolute Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is a conditioning program which assists the cardiac patient and family with the transition from the inpatient setting to home. It enables the homebound patient to continue the rehabilitation started in the hospital. In conjunction with their physician, the Physical and Occupational Therapists recommend various activities to increase the patient’s strength, save their energy, relieve their anxiety and enable them to do more for themselves.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Evaluate patient safety, home assessment, need for assistive devices
- Guide the patient to increase activity
- Reinforce patient awareness of Target Heart Rate (THR),
- Instruction in body mechanics and energy conservation techniques
- Instruct in relaxation techniques and mental imagery
- Facilitate full participation in Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
- Teach low intensity aerobic and anaerobic exercise in both supine and sitting positions
- Reduce patient and family anxiety
Provide a bridge for a continuum of care after the inpatient stay and while awaiting outpatient Cardiac Rehab.